Best products to stop overspray on my sprinkler heads?

Toro internals will not on screw on a orbit popup body. Do you have misting now? That is an indicator of high pressure, which destroys spray pattern. You will need to replace the entire popup spray body and nozzle. If you are unable to do that, then just replace the nozzles. Nozzle suggestions are Toro Precision Nozzles female thread, Hunter MP Rotators. If you need adjustable nozzles try Rain Bird HE-VAN nozzles.

2 Likes

X flow is not necessary. It stops geysers if the head is damaged. If you buy the Toro Precision nozzles, you will create a custom nozzle with 1 inch per hour.
The model suggested Toro 570Z-XPR
X = popup height 4, 6 or 12 inch.

2 Likes

Pressure regulation is inside the body of the popup spray,

2 Likes

I was typing a reply, then Robert’s reply popped up. He said everything I was going to say, so I won’t repeat it.

I do like the MP rotators. I really like the HE-VANs now days more than any other adjustable. Their precipitation rate from the nozzle to the end of the spray pattern is the best I’ve seen. I actually did a catch cup test with multiple brands of adjustable nozzles. The HE-VANs beat them all in coverage.

When I replace nozzles in landscape beds now, I always use the HE-VAN.

1 Like

My water pressure is set for 75 psi, will the HE-VAN control or regulate the water pressure too like the Toro? I am calling Rain Bird now so I fully understand both solutions before I buy this week. If Toro and Rain Bird were cars which car companies would they represent. I always thought of Rain Bird as Ford and Toro as Cadillac (I know this sounds crazy) but does that sound right. I am not currently getting misting but I can tell my water pressure being too high is a problem.

I need the following.

• 3-5 foot distance with even coverage
  • pressure reduction that can lower my 75 PSI to 30 PSI
  • I have decided to replace both the spray heads and nozzles
  • options for 4 inch and 12 inch for taller shrubs
  • the ability to easily replace nozzles as needed
  • the ability to enter the data into Rachio so I can monitor my true water usage and savings
1 Like

Only the head will have the built in regulator. Although, the Toro nozzles do have a rubber insert on them that helps regulate to a degree. I mostly see Toro on commercial properties. They are good heads, but they require a male thread nozzle. The Rain Bird requires a female thread nozzle. Most nozzles on the market are female thread. I’d go that route because you will have a better selection of nozzles across all brands.

2 Likes

http://socalwatersmart.com/images/PDFs/qualifying_list_nozzles.pdf

I decided to stop by the Irvine Water Smart page and found the HE-VAN for $2 off (each) with a minimum order of 30 units (more than I need but I can give them to friends as stocking stuffers). That would make all of them free so that made it an easy decision to move over to the Rain Bird HE-VAN-08 for the nozzles. I filled out the online application and I have up to 30-days to buy them and submit the paperwork for reimbursement.

http://socalwatersmart.com/images/PDFs/qualifying_list_sms.pdf

I was not thinking about a soil moisture sensor but they were offering a $35 rebate but after a quick look this did not look like something I wanted to do.

1 Like

75 psi is off the charts pressure. Most of your water will never reach the landscape. If you want to use Rain Bird nozzles they won’t fit Toro spray bodies. Instead purchase Hunter PROS PRS spray bodies. They will regulate pressure to exactly 30 psi. Rain Bird PRS spray will not give 30 psi pressure regulation from testing their heads with pressure gauges.
You must have spray bodies with built in pressure regulation. Nozzles do not regulate pressure.

2 Likes

Buy Hunter pressure regulated sprays or Toro pressure rehulated heads.You need to find a good local irrigation distributor. Don’t bother calling Rain Bird. Do you have a Ewing Irrigation branch nearby?
Where do you live?
https://www.ewingirrigation.com

Click on branch locations. Go to the store.

1 Like

Hi Robert and thank you for your continued help. Those Hunter 570Z Series Pop-Up Spray Body w/ PRS and X-Flow look like the Sherman tanks of the industry after watching the videos. I also like that they have female threads so I can use the free HE-VAN-08 nozzles that the IRWD is providing by rebate. That seems like the winning combo if I am understanding you both correctly and cross referencing this data with the approved list of nozzles on the list above. If you see something on the approved list that looks better than the HE-VAN nozzle let me know? This would put my total cost for replacement around $100 after IRWD rebates and the cost of all new pressure reducing bodies set to 30 PSI. I bet the reduced watering costs will easily pay for the cost in less than a year. My goal is to never see even one CCF under usage - inefficient.

By the way, I did a google search and I have a Ewing Irrigation location just a few miles up the street. I live in a newer area and my zip 92618 seemed to confuse their system and it said they could not find a store within 100 miles. I knew it had to be a bug in their search engine.

List of approved nozzles: http://socalwatersmart.com/images/PDFs/qualifying_list_nozzles.pdf

1 Like

Good deal. Go with Hunter Pro Sprays 30 psi because the Rain Bird nozzles will not fit the male threads of the Toro heads. The rain Bird nozzles will
fit the female thread of Hunter heads. I don’t recommend Rain Bird 1800PRS because their pressure regulation fluctuates. We have two large parks where Rain bird 1800 prs heads are installed and the pressure only regulates to an average of 42 psi with an incoming pressure of 66 psi. Not good. When you have pressure regulated heads your gallons per minute will decrease and water droplets will be larger.

2 Likes

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/SPRINKLMATE-Sprinkler-Shield-Overspray-Deflector/dp/B08BBQ881T
Got 5 and they work perfectly!