Bermuda to Rye Overseeding Thread

@tmcgahey

I’m extremely jealous, that is beautiful.

…And all I could think of was this.

:cheers:

2 Likes

Looks great. Any plans to deal with the critter?

@franz I joke about Caddyshack all the time!

@Modawg2k, I have tried the poison pellets with no success, and last weekend I tried to flood him out, or subsequently drown him…Haven’t seen a new mound all week, so crossing my fingers.

@tmcgahey I showed everyone here and had to convince them it wasn’t fake because it was so green :joy:

2 Likes

@mckynzee, we’ll shucks, thanks! It still has a couple less than stellar areas, but it is still filling in. If I have to, I have a bit of seed left that I can throw down to fill in.

1 Like

I wonder how well rye will fill in on it’s own? Bermuda definitely fills in quite fast

I don’t usually throw extra seed down unless I just plain miss an area. Usually it fills in pretty well, or whatever seed was there finally takes hold.

I ended up scaling back to 3X then 2X fixed cycles per day, adding to the watering time as I decreased the frequency. After about 1.5 weeks of that I switched to flex, and I think 2 inches or so for root depth. It still watered daily at that point. I’ve then been bumping up 0.5 inches every week. I’m sure there are a bunch of ways to go on this transition but so far my lawn looks great. We’re getting a fair amount of rain today so I don’t expect my zones to fire tomorrow thanks to Flex!

2 Likes

@azdavidr What do you think the final root depth should be?

@Modawg2k I’m honestly not sure, so I’m assuming the 4-6" range. I’m at 4" in my settings right now, and will creep up to 6" between now and the end of the months. I may just end up pushing it until I see signs of stress.

I’m going to throw down some fertizlier this weekend after my first cut (which will be about 2.5 weeks after seeding). The attached article from the UA said to use ammonium phosphate (16-20-0), and then I read on several other sites to use a complete fertilizer that has some K in it… not sure what I’m going to do.

1 Like

Perennial ryegrass does not fill in because each seed produces a single plant. The only cool season grass that fills in is Kentucky bluegrass. If you have bare areas, you will need to reseed these areas.

1 Like

Thanks, gladI kept the extras, going to throw in this weekend

I would say that half my Rye came in great, and the other half is a barren wasteland. I do not think my setting on my spreader was correct seeing as how it took forever to drop the 15lbs of seed. This weekend I added the remaining seed to the bad areas, and then fertilized the entire lawn, and replaced 8 nozzles that still need to be fixed. I’m hoping that will return my grass back to glory. Weather conditions in Phoenix right now are matching ideally to what the UA article said about when to seed, so I’ll be curious to see how well those areas do.

Here is a trick i use. Once you have prepared the seedbed, apply a thin cover of peat moss or a quality compost. That will retain moisture and prevent drying out

3 Likes

I’m wondering what kind of frequency and duration folks are set to. I just found that Phoenix’s ‘Water Use It Wisely’ interactive guide suggests we can be watering as little as once every two weeks. I’m at 4 day watering cycles with a crop coefficient of 0.7 and root depth of 4 inches… What are you set to for your Rye, and what are your root depths and crop coefficients set to ?? How’s your lawn responding to your settings ?

Here’s another excerpt:

Source: http://wateruseitwisely.com/desert-landscaping-ten-tips-winter-watering/

Thanks!

Mine is about 4 days now that I’ve moved it to 4" and coefficient of 0.7, and AW of 0.12. My lawn is looking good in most areas (except for dog pee areas and some parts that either didn’t get enough seed or conditions in that area weren’t good). I’ve noticed that my grass seems to be a bit too wet for my liking… like I’m always walking on after a watering. I’m going to try and space out the waterings at least another day or so to see how the grass looks.

2 Likes

With CC 0.7 and root depth of 6, my Rachio wants to water the grass like 5 days of the week right now. I’m having to dial it back manually since that is a bit extreme.

2 Likes

I’m averaging every other day with a crop coefficient of 0.55 and RD of 6". Thanks for pointing out what you’re seeing. I’m going to dial back my cc some more, although it seems quite low already.

1 Like

I’m actually starting to see a fair bit of the Bermuda coming through in my yard…debating on when to switch it back over to warm season grass.

3 Likes